About the Fund
The First Year Experience Fund serves as a source of financial grants for departments and groups at Queen's that are mandated to deliver personal, social, and academic transition programs and services for undergraduate students. The goal of the First Year Experience Fund is to encourage and support ongoing and innovative programs and services that enhance undergraduate student life and learning, with a particular emphasis on the first year students experience.
- The applicant must represent a University Department or a student led group affiliated with a University Department or the Alma Mater Society
- The Department or Group must have a mandate to enhance undergraduate student life, the broader learning environment, or the student experience
- The project must be non-profit in nature. This grant program is intended to support co-curricular initiatives and programs for students. However, course-related activities in collaboration with faculty, which benefit students more broadly and fulfill other criteria of the grant program, will be considered.
- Funds may be requested for expendable initiatives or capital projects.
Requests for Funds will be assessed based on the extent to which the initiatives aim to:
- Support student leadership development and community engagement,
- Support student learning and academic success,
- Support personal, mental, social, cultural and spiritual needs and interests that influence academic success,
- Promote and create positive, healthy and inclusive campus living and learning environments and communities, or
- Develop greater social consciousness and citizenship among students.
Applications will be reviewed by the Residence Society's Fine Revenue Allocation Committee (FRAC), the President of the Residence Society and the Director of Residence Life. Funds will be prioritized for initiatives that emphasize benefits to undergraduate students in their first year of study (most of which live in Residence), but may also support initiatives that target any segment of the student body with the aim of improving the living and broader learning environment for undergraduate students at Queen’s.
Departments and groups will have the opportunity to submit funding requests for review and approval twice every year, according to the following deadlines and timelines:
Deadline for Submission: September 29, 2017
Funding Decision: October 15, 2017